Shampoo Bars

I think we all know about my love of making soap. So I figured why not try my hand at shampoo bars? If it didn't work out, I can always use them as regular soap so I'm not losing anything by trying.

I followed recipe #2 found at Skin + Soul. I picked this one simply because I already had all the necessary ingredients. That's some deep research there. =) Once the bars were cured (almost) long enough to use I embarked on my experiment.

Week One:
I started out following 'standard' hair detox rules. Don't wash every day, use a mixture of ACV (apple cider vinegar) and (distilled) water to rinse. This mixture started off as a 50/50. But people, I live in the south - and it's humid here. Yes, even in September. And I sweat. A lot. So, whenever I'd start to sweat all I could smell was vinegar. Not pleasant. So I added more water to this and diluted it down to about a ratio of 1 to 4.

And I continued. My hair looked crappy every other day. Folks, I'm growing out a Ginnifer Goodwin pixie cut. I can't cover up my bad hair days. By the end of week one my hair felt weird - a little gummy? Not sure how to explain it - but not right. Determined to give it a fair shot I moved into week two.

Week Two:
I decided to try something new. No ACV rinse after I shampoo. But, when I reached mid week my hair felt like straw. So on a no wash day, I did the rinse. Honestly, I still can't stand the smell. There has got to be another solution for that.

My hair looks and feels dry as the Mojave. So I've begun to investigate other natural shampoos. I've seen a beer recipe and a honey recipe. I'm willing to give either of those a shot at this point. I also still have some regular shampoo and conditioner and honestly, they are looking mighty fine right about now!

I will keep plugging away though. One more week and I might cave or I might see if there's something else I can try.

Week Three:
Stick a fork in me. I caved and used my regular shampoo and conditioner. To be able to actually run a comb through my hair again was divine! But now, my hair is falling out again. This didn't happen with the bar. So, I'm thinking I might find a more conditioning recipe and give it another shot. With a rose water rinse though. I definitely cannot handle the ACV rinse!!

What I learned:
I love trying new and different things. I had a blast making the shampoo bars and even seeing how my hair reacted. I'm pretty sure there is a solution for me out there. I'm probably going to wait until my hair is long enough to put up before I try again though. I really need a way to cover the bad days and transition period.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Phone Link Up

What's on My Phone Dec 21

It's Tuesday!!