{Laundry Soap}

I've tried homemade laundry soap before. The powdered version. Because I wash in cold I had lots of trouble with it working well. I've always wanted to try the liquid version, but I don't have a proper laundry room (read - no space to store 5 gallons of laundry soap) so I've been buying my 'free of scents' brand and thought I was doomed to pay high prices forever.

Then I found this article on Mommypotamus and it spoke to my newfound love of soap making. So I held onto this recipe for months, hunting for the perfect sized detergent recipe for a family of three. Finally I found one, so I got to start. I followed this laundry soap (1% superfat) recipe exactly - and my bars came out hard, white, and beautiful.

It looks good enough to eat.

My first time using my new loaf mold

Yeah, my cutting skills still need work
but aren't these pretty?



Then I found this recipe for a smaller batch of liquid laundry soap. I grated up a bar of beautiful white soap (it kind of made me sad)


And tried to follow the directions here as best I could. I was a little short on the liter of water (my pot wasn't quite big enough). But everything seemed to work out fine. I did divert in the fact that I didn't add more water when I put it in the containers. This wasn't a very good idea as now it's really thick. I mean really thick. I guess I can always add water now? But I'm going to try and keep it thick and goopy.

I've only used it one time so far, and everything seems clean. Smells pretty good (ok, it doesn't smell like anything really - I don't add scent). We'll have to see how I like it later on down the road. Also I didn't use 1/2 cup like the recipe says - I only used about 1/4 cup. Like I said, really thick. And not at all borax-y smelling like my powered stuff.

I'm hoping I hit on the perfect laundry solution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Phone Link Up

What's on My Phone Dec 21

It's Tuesday!!