Student Athletes - My Rant

Before I start - I know that college sports is what brings in the money. It doesn't mean I agree with the way student athletes are allowed to, well, do whatever and stay in school and continue to play sports.

What brings on my slightly irrational rant? The last week and a half of English class. Here's how it was supposed to go down:

April 11- first draft of final paper due. Myself and about six other students (and I use that term loosely) were supposed to bring in enough copies for the class to peer review. Two people brought papers, myself and one guy.

April 13 - The rest of the (now late) papers should have made it to class. Unfortunately I didn't make it to class - I had an appointment that I tried but couldn't reschedule. As per my Professors rules, I let her know in advance so I wouldn't lose any points.

April 18 - Peer review due. We were supposed to have two. Yours truly only had one. Now I'm losing points because I'm in a class full of slackers that couldn't bring their paper in on time? And what happened to the "in advance" rule so I wouldn't lose points?

What does this have to do with student athletes? My English class is full of baseball players. She keeps giving them chance after chance and I come up short once and I'm punished? To say I'm angry would be an understatement. Oh and to make it more interesting the baseball team just won some Jr College Championship or something. Honestly, they could have lost every game and it wouldn't matter to me - you should be in school to get an education. Period.

I know these kids haven't turned in anything on time and barely ever even bother to come to class. Why are they allowed to continue to play? Are they just ignored for 16 weeks so they can continue play and then next year they'll be off the team? I don't know - all I know is it's really pissing me off.

They are wasting my time by being slackers and being disrespectful to the Professor (who is actually putting up with it - so that's kind of her fault too - as long as she keeps letting them get away with it they will treat her rules and her like crap). The fact that their parents pay for these classes over and over just makes it more annoying to me.

Today one of them asked how much a summer class costs. I said about $700 not including books. How do I know? If I don't pass I know I'll have to pay back Uncle Sam. I'm very aware of how much each class costs. These two were like "My mom will pay that". Must be nice.

How long should student athletes be allowed to slack before they're actually held accountable?

Oh and they are the future. Scary.

Until next time ~ Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Phone Link Up

What's on My Phone Dec 21

It's Tuesday!!