I finally figured it out

Not "it" per say because I'm not sure what that is
but IT - the reason for my math frustration


So, in honor of my 'lightbulb' moment, I wrote a letter to math professor
Because I'm border-line failing at this point and would hate to piss him off in person!


Dear Mr. Latin-American Math Professor,


I don't hate math.  I don't even really hate you.  Because hate is a strong word and should be used sparingly - and there's a list of things about you that should bother me, but don't.  


Like: the way you say 'sits' when you say 'sets' - I get that.  I know what you're talking about, and I've been places other than SC, so I've heard some accents!  Your accent actually makes the class more interesting.  When I say 'equation' it doesn't have the same ring - for sure.


Like: the fact that you love math; which honestly, I don't get.  At all.  But you like it enough to want to teach it to people who don't get it and will probably never love it.  I respect that.


Like: the fact that you are probably way younger than me.  I'm a late starter, I'm good with that. 


Honestly, there is only one thing about you that bothers the crap out of me.  Why, for the love of all that is good, must you turn every problem on every quiz into a fraction?  Seriously?  I didn't get fractions in grade school, junior high, or high school.  Age has not improved my knowledge of understanding of fractions. 


I don't know if you know this, but I'm on a budget and can't afford to get my hair colored.  Your over use of fractional problems is making it very difficult for me to keep my grey from showing.  


I'm beginning to think you do that because you know I don't get it.  Seriously, it's not me talking during class so please don't pick on me anymore!  Dang - I'm begging here.  


For at least one quiz, do you think you could just leave the fractions out and give me fighting chance at pulling my grade up?


Sincerely,
The old lady in the second row 



Comments

  1. Oh, Kris, you crack me up! I understand where you're coming from, honestly. I had a college math teacher like that, too! Only she was blonde and kinda perky with a million-watt smile! I know it's a shot in the dark, but have you checked into getting a tutor? The school should be able to provide one. Talk to your guidance counsellor or the math teacher. Seriously, there's nothing worse than having to pay back GI Bill money because you didn't get a passing grade. Then, you have to take it over again! But, I have faith in you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read them all. I'm not very good at replying to them though. It's one of my many downfalls. I hope you'll leave some anyway!

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Phone Link Up

What's on My Phone Dec 21

It's Tuesday!!