Remembering Mom

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. In July I will have been without my mom for four years. I know many people have been without their mom's for much longer. I wonder how they've managed so long. This year I am missing my mom terribly.

My mom wasn't perfect, but she was wonderful. She taught me so much. Sometimes I can still hear her in my head when I'm trying to make a decision. I didn't always listen to her when she was alive - and I still don't! She (like most of my family & friends) would have hated the fact that I homeschool. I think she's looking down saying "Ok, maybe you were right this time." LOL Naw! What she's saying is "Get your butt back to work to pay for Catholic School!" Sorry Mom!

I was never my mom's favorite "too outspoken", "too stubborn" she would say. That's OK too. As I grew older we ended up being friends too. Those 'bad' qualities ended up being some of the things she really loved when I grew up and was on my own. - when I wasn't being 'stubborn' or 'outspoken' under her roof anymore!! She always knew that any decision I made I would end up taking responsibility for (and believe me there were lots of very bad decisions!). She knew that I would be OK no matter what.

My mom left this world with three children, nine grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. In the last four years we have added one more grandchild and two more great grandchildren to this family. It makes me sad that she will never get to know the newest members of her family in person. I firmly believe she knows them, loves them, and has seen them. Her family was her life - they still are.

So Mom - thank you from the bottom of my heart. For everything - the good and bad, the ugly, the car games as we travelled across Texas, my 6th birthday at the Grand Canyon. Thank you for giving me life during a time when you were alone and afraid you would be a widow with two young kids. Thank you for loving me enough to drive the back roads from MI to NC so I wouldn't have be alone with my new baby. For whisking me out of Abraham Lincoln's House when I asked how come Mary and Abe had separate rooms!

I miss you mom. I miss hearing your voice for real. I miss not being able to share Zach's accomplishments with you. I miss not having someone to cling to when crossing the Macinaw Bridge! I miss everything about you.

I love you mom. I always have and I always will. Happy Mother's Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Phone Link Up

What's on My Phone Dec 21

It's Tuesday!!